It is becoming increasingly commonplace for energy and materials to be transported by cable and pipeline. For years, Antea Group has been closely involved with all aspects of the planning, design, implementation and management phases of pipeline projects. Our clients include power distributors (e.g. Gasunie and Tennet), oil companies (e.g. NAM, Vermilion, TAQA and Northern Petroleum), domestic water suppliers (e.g. Vitens, PWN, Hydron and Oasen) and energy suppliers (e.g. Nuon, Essent and RWE).
A feasibility or route study is often undertaken, and a budget estimate drawn up, prior to the go-ahead for detailed route planning. Our report helps the client decide whether or not to pursue the pipeline route in more detail.
Land administration and permits
When the go-ahead is given, there will be a multitude of land administration matters to be addressed. Antea Group's years of experience makes us an ideal partner for contact with land owners. In terms of land administration and permits we can assist you with:
- project communication and securing the involvement and cooperation of private land owners along the proposed route;
- establishment of rights and agreements for the installation of, and access to, property;
- settlement of payments and damages;
- application for permits and administrative settlement.
Cultural and other studies
Antea Group identifies the soil condition in rural areas through hand drilling, soil surveys and cultural inventories. We specify in detail what needs to be done during and following the installation of the pipeline, in order to conserve the soil.
Pipeline installation should also include consideration of:
- hydrological survey (e.g. trench drainage);
- cultural survey;
- archaeological survey;
- natural values report;
- explosive testing;
- surveying activities and data capture in AutoCAD or Microstation;
- generation of mapping materials;
- compilation of specification and contract documentation;
- Environmental Impact Assessment and EIA reports for large-scale projects;
- monitoring plans that document the impact of drainage on the surrounding area (reduction of agricultural yield, penetration, impact on surrounding countryside);
- deformation measurements and initial assessment of constructions;
- historical investigation and ecological soil survey in the event of encountering soil and/or surface water contamination.
Our in-house experts perform pipeline calculations and interpret soil mechanics data for geotechnical recommendations:
- probing and deep (pulse) drilling;
- soil mechanics laboratory studies;
- mud pressures and pull forces using, for example, Mdrill;
- PLE calculations for pipeline properties for the overall pipeline system;
- material selection and determination of wall thickness.
We help you select suitable pipeline contractors/drilling companies and the pipeline material to be used.
Pipeline installation phase
The aforementioned surveys and reports form the basis of the contract documentation/specification used by management and contractors during the implementation phase. Antea Group can manage or supervise operational activities and provide specialists to test certain aspects of activities:
- cultural supervisor;
- land administration officer;
- geotechnical specialist;
- pipeline specialist;
- contract manager.